Infiltration is the preferred method of managing stormwater in permeable soils when a downstream discharge network is not present or permitted. A soakaway will allow water to soak from the system into a gravel sub-base which will temporarily hold water before allowing it to seep into the ground.
For this application our Rainsmart soakaway crates are wrapped in needle punched non-woven geotextile before being buried in porous permeable soil. A pre-filter such as silt trap or catchpit is also recommended for upstream debris removal.
Modern soakaway crates are a far better option than traditional gravel and pipe-based systems. Our Rainsmart crates have a 95% void ratio compared to 30% in traditional gravel and pipe-based systems. This means that you’ll need a smaller footprint for the same storage volume which will significantly save on installation costs while causing minimal site disruption.
Utilising Infiltration as a SuDS technique?
An infiltration drainage application is used for holding stormwater underground and allowing it to disperse, or infiltrate into the surrounding soil at a controlled rate with the highest quality of water possible. Stormwater usually enters the system from the guttering of a property, once it flows through the downpipe and into the underground drainage pipes, it can enter an infiltration system.
The Soakaway System Infiltration Process
- An infiltration system will most often start with a pre-filter that removes any silt or fine sediment in the water
- After cleaning water flows into the main part of the system - soakaway crates wrapped in a membrane. The crate system is where the water is temporarily stored
- The crates are completely wrapped in a permeable membrane to ensures that the surrounding soil does not make its way into the system and that stormwater leaves the system in a controlled way.
- Water seeps out of the system into the soil at a controlled rate.
If you are looking for assistance with an infiltration project then we can help.
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Set Flat-Packed With Silt Trap & Lid 1 Cubic Metre£440.50 £528.60
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Set Assembled With Silt Trap & Lid 1 Cubic Metre£460.50 £552.60
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Set Flat-Packed 1 Cubic Metre£187.00 £224.40
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Set Assembled 1 Cubic Metre£209.00 £250.80
- Rainsmart Shallow Soakaway Set Flat-Packed 1 Cubic Metre - Option 1£203.50 £244.20
- Rainsmart Ellipse Shallow Soakaway Set Assembled 1 Cubic Metre£225.50 £270.60
- Rainsmart Ellipse Triple Soakaway Set Flat-Packed 1 Cubic Metre£218.90 £262.68
- Rainsmart Soakaway Set Flat-Packed - Heavy 1 Cubic Metre£205.00 £246.00
- Rainsmart Soakaway Set Assembled - Heavy 1 Cubic Metre£225.00 £270.00
- Rainsmart Soakaway Set Flat-Packed - Heavy 1 Cubic Metre£240.00 £288.00
- Rainsmart Shallow Soakaway Set Assembled - Heavy 1 Cubic Metre£260.00 £312.00
- Rainsmart 65 Tonne Heavy Triple Soakaway Set Flat-Packed 1 Cubic Metre£239.00 £286.80
- Rainsmart Soakaway Set For Heavier Soils Flat-Packed 1 Cubic Metre£260.00 £312.00
- Rainsmart Soakaway Set For Heavier Soils Assembled 1 Cubic Metre£280.00 £336.00
- Rainsmart Soakaway Set Shallow for Heavier Soils Flat-Packed 1 Cubic Metre£309.00 £370.80
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Crate Flat-Packed - Shallow£27.50 £33.00
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Crate Assembled - Shallow£29.00 £34.80
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Crate Flat-Packed£48.95 £58.74